Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Bruery - Trade Winds Tripel


The Bruery, heralding from the OC, is known for high-quality beers. I was at Whole Foods in Santa Monica and this being the first time I'd had the opportunity to buy one of their beers, I grabbed this one.

The Trade Winds Tripel is The Bruery's summer seasonal beer. It attempts to fuse together Belgian beer styles with Far-East ingredients like rice and Thai Basil.


Lowdown
Style: Tripel
Price paid: $15+CRV for 22oz bottle
ABV: 8.1%
Bottled: XX-XX-XX
BA URL: Beer Advocate page

Appearance: Light, golden and fairly clear. Created a very large fluffy head when poured into a large tulip glass. Seriously, this froth is big and shows no signs of a hasty retreat.

Smell: Unsurprisingly, the Thai basil and rice aromas really come through, making it smell crisp and savory. It's a very unexpected smell for a beer, it promises something really different.

Taste: Here I was a bit disappointed. I felt like the basil came in too strong and overpowered the subtle flavors of the hops. There was too much savory and not enough bitterness or sweetness. (See note below)

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy

Drinkability: It tasted mostly like I was drinking a carbonated basil soda.

Bappr Index: 5/10

Note: The brewery recommends this beer to be consumed quickly after bottling. It's possible I got an old bottle, as the herbal flavors were a bit stale. I'd definitely give this beer another shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment